Thursday, June 21, 2007

warning!

I'm am so pissed I could smack someone up side the head.

1st, and in no particular order

PARENTS SHOULD TEACH THEIR CHILDREN PERSONAL ETHICS/INTEGRITY.
You are not doing your kids any favors by being "nice and understanding" Have a set of rules- and stick to them. Teach them to take responsibility for their actions. The rewards for that are a very satisfying life.
For example, If you write a stupid comment about your teacher on your desk in the same pen you use for work in the same effing handwriting, have the integrity to not lie about it. It took a lot of restraint not to tell that little punk he was a lying sack of shit.
Teach them that asking repeatedly does not improve the chances of them getting their way. please, please please does nothing to improve the situation, begging does not change my answer.

2nd
TEACHERS/SCHOOLS/PRINCIPALS/COUNTIES/STATES SHOULD HAVE A SIMPLE SET OF RULES THAT ARE UNBREAKABLE. Break a rule, have a consequence.
For example, if a student is caught break a state mandated policy, do not let the kids off with a warning and a threat of dismissal "the next time". If you do, and the kid breaks the rules, have the guts to dismiss his ass!

Kids need guidelines, role models and rules. Yes, some kids have it rough. The second student mentioned above have some issues that require him to behave like an adult. He did it to himself, therefore, he gets the consequences. Life is hard, tough shit. I've had students whose parents have cancer, they themselves have medical issues, but still they get their work done- they take responsibilities for their actions!
If you have 5 rules to enforce the 1st day of school, enforce them every day. Don't feel sorry for them, or look the other way, or encourage.

3rd
QUIT LETTING YOUR KIDS LISTEN TO THAT CRAP THEY THINK IS MUSIC.
Glorifying violence, dehumanizing women, placing excessive value on things, solving problems with anger and hate, teaching out kids not to value themselves and others. Have a little respect for your self.
4th
LEARN TO SPELL. The word is to, not 2. With, not wif, drink, not drank. And my name is not, has never been, nor will it ever be
baby,
hey,
cuz,
shorty,
shawty (or any other derivatives).

5th

YES, I DESERVE YOUR RESPECT. I have lived for 40 odd years, have seen things you have no idea about, I have 2 college degrees, I know what I'm talking about, and I'm smarter than my students. Besides that, I'm a fucking human being, just like you. The very least you can do is say excuse me when you bang into me.

3 comments:

Chickie Carmarthen said...

AMEN!

Dick said...

Yep, a pissed off woman.
I'll step aside.

Erica said...

Dang, I knew all that when I was [reading on a college level] in junior high school. Sad to hear that things haven't changed too much.

I could so never be a teacher because the temptation to snap their backs in two over my knee would probably cost me my job.