Thursday, January 11, 2007

The bug on the windsheild

Sometimes we all get to be the bug, today's my turn. Didn't feel like a very good teacher today, I was very disappointed in my students. Gave a quiz over 9 vocabulary words, roughly 80% failed it. I told them the words, had them write the definitions, used those words in class for 4 days, even the quiz was matching. 9 words. I should go back to waitressing- much less stress, And I get pee breaks, don't get sued if the customer gets fat or smokes in his car, much less get bitched out about the customers poor eating habits like it's my fucking fault.
I always doubt my teaching abilities this time of year- I have to start the semester with electricity. I've got the basics, but I sure wish I had a deeper understanding of it. My textbook said

"A negative charge moving in one direction has the same effect as a positive charge moving in the opposite direction. Conventional current is defined a the current made of positive charge that would have the same effect as the actual motion of charge in the material"
Damn. Fuck. Shit. Electricity is the flow of electrical charges through a conductor, I thought. I quit, I'm too pissing stupid.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow. and i think you sound real cool and brainy.

for most of us non teachers, being subjected to a group of teens daily would be terrifying. you're tough, you can do it. good luck.

KurtP said...

Yeah, the voltage and current go in opposite directions, and it flows from the negative post to the positive post on a battery.

Think that's bad? Wait until you learn about electronic circuits, A/C and D/C operate on completly different rules for the same circuit.
That's where your algebra comes in....and you thought you'd never use it in real life ;-)

Holder said...

and to really confuse...
there's actually no such thing as a positive charge- only less negative... oy, I need a bubble bath...

Dick said...

Email Og for easy to explain answers on this stuff.