Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Teen pregnancy

I could go find the sources for this, but if you want them go to NIH's site, the CDC or just Google teen pregnancy to get these numbers:
35% of girls less than twenty will get pregnant.
Only a third of them will finish high school.


We had over 1400 students in my high school, a third of which are freshmen. We had 32 pregnancies right now, the high schools in our county have about a quarter of that. Something has to be done.
Yes, I know- abstinence is 100% effective in preventing the spread of disease and pregnancy. Tell that to the 14 year old whose parents don't care, but some fast talker tells her he loves her, baby.
And yes, I know, some are are Stand Up, Do Right kinda guys. But even they make choices....

Okay, off the soapbox.

I've been ok'd to get together a girls groups- one that fosters self respect, integrity, decision making, and abstinence. While still going over the other issues- rape, contraception, emotional and spiritual stuff.

YAY ME!!!!

I've wanted to do this for a while, finally got some really smart and savvy teachers to help me.

More later....

No comments: