Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Please, Mr. Postman, please!


So Re-Pete has written her brother a letter. No, I did not take this picture in a mirror. This is how she wrote it. Is she a genius or what?

I put the address on the other side along with the stamp and put my own little "see other side" message just in case some rube thought it was a joke.

A long time ago, before we even had dirt, I was a wee girl in the 2nd grade. I had a uncle in prison. It's true. Well, I actually had two uncles in prison. Both of my mother's sisters married men who ended up in the slammer. I would write one of them letters on that greyish paper with the blue and red-dashed lines. We called them tablets in those days. Remember those? Are those even still made? They were wider they they are long.
So, I wrote him letters, 'cuz he wanted to hear from a seven year old he hardly knew.

I found a few of those letters when I was ten. My handwriting was so neat and even. With tales of swimming and our dog, Popcorn.

But seeing those letters in my Mom's nightstand made me realize my folks weren't really sending those letters to him. Which is probably why he returned to a life of crime once he was released from jail. If he had only received my letters (said with my forehand on my forehead and a pained expression) He probably wouldn't be the schitzoid he is today, with his drug-induced glassy glaze....
but I digress....

I dare you to write out a name completely backwards- from right to left with the letters backwards as well. Okay, maybe you can do it easily. Don't gloat to me. No one likes a sore winner...

Let's just hope her brother doesn't need a mirror to read whatever is in there...

1 comment:

Mrs. Who said...

I knew a boy who learned to read upside down and backwards. When his mother was teaching his older brother, younger brother sat across the table and learned to read too. Mom had fun unlearning him too.