Sunday, May 03, 2009

I loved college during my undergraduate years. It was such an eye-opening experience. As it should be, I guess. I was already married and had my son (Hi, Y'all!) and had finally moved away from my parents. ...Heh, it's funny that is should take 20 odd years to see that... and I finally felt like I was doing something relevant. I took early world history with a guy who could read cuneiform. He also had us read letters and diaries of people living in the history of the time. I loved that class! I took the professor out to lunch afterwards as a way to say thanks for all I got out of the class.
Then there was the philosophy class I took. That man could piss off his students! He would start class by saying something like"Women don't think". And off they'd go- puffing up and demanding he explain himself. Turns out what he meant was, "Women intuit, men reason". It's true. I can do the whole "here's my reasoning" thing, but most days I just "know" the answer. He also recommended that we periodically fell in love with a stranger, but I don't remember why.... But I will admit to a few crushes I suddenly found myself with...

All those science classes, going on field trips for the weekend with upper level geology classes. We went to Graves mountain in North Georgia looking for Rutile, basically banging on some very hard rock looking for an elusive metal. We found some pyrophyllite, though. Once we slept in the bathrooms of a State park in Mississippi after an ice storm cut off the power. I once sat on a swing set in the middle of the night with my professor, Dick (Really, that's his name!), getting drunk and drunker in Alabama. He is one of the coolest guys I've ever met.

I can't wait to get back in college...

No comments: