Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Vaccinated by a phonograph needle

My mother used to say I talked so much I must have been vaccinated with a phonograph needle. God, how that makes me laugh now! I just thought she was being a boring mom....



Until Pete turned 9. And she hasn't stopped talking since. Man, that girl can babble! Talk the ears off a brass monkey, talk the green offa grass, paint offa walls, you name it.



I picked her up from summer camp yesterday and she began her soliliquoy (or however you spell that damn word). She told me everything each boy had said, and what her teachers said, and what she ate, and how she felt about it.



7 minutes later we were at the grocery store. She told me her opinion about every food we passed, how much she loved it, her memories of eating a particular food. In detail.



Finally, once my ears had started bleeding, I said, "You're talking too much."



She said, " I know, but you're the only one I can say this to. I know it's just going in one ear and out the other, but I just have to tell you."



I can't argue with that.



But I think I'm gonna need some better ear plugs.



And to think, Re-Pete will be 9 in 2 1/2 years.

No comments: