Wednesday, September 30, 2009

I still remember the first time I met Sandi. I was a freshman at college. Married with a young son, trying to better my future. We were standing in front of the library at West Georgia College, now the University of West Georgia. She was behind me with a group of people, talking about baby food, and how expensive it was. I turned and said, "Have you thought about making your own?" And thus began a 20 year friendship.

We were inseparable for many years after that. We saw all of our children through diapers together, broken arms, malformed intestines in my oldest daughter, baseball playoffs, births of children, 2 divorces and three marriages on her part, one almost divorce on mine, the death of my father followed a few years later by the death of my mother. We were always there for each other.

She chose a road, then, towards her own special brand of insanity. well, maybe it chose her,after all. She went crazy a bit, lost everything, then found it again in a wonderful man.
They had several happy years together before her madness took hold again, he managed to wrestle her away from it again, and things seemed to heading back towards normal.

But Fate, or whatever you want to call it, was not done.

Her husband suffered migraines for years, the only relief he got was from vicodin. Recently that script was changed to Oxycontin. (or maybe I have it reversed) Either way, you see the foreshadowing, right?

He took entirely too many, and my friend woke this past Monday morning to find her husband dead beside her.

She seems so together right now. I know it will hit her soon, and some tough times are coming her way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

.... what a tragedy...... hopefully she will stay strong through this......

Eric